Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Monk who wants to buy a Ferrari

I have been lucky to have few good friends a few good experiences and few hardships. Life so far has been a mix of ups and downs. Still there was something missing, I always wanted to learn more about spirituality, but was afraid that it means to become a Monk. And a Monk, I always thought, must leave all the worldly pleasures. I never really wondered much about wandering into the spritual lanes.

Until one day when circumstances made me set out to discover inner self. After meeting many learned scholars and interacting with many people who met and read about great saints, I started to wonder if I understood what it all means " To understand oneself ". Should I really let go everything that I earned, or everything that yearn to earn ?

I want to be at peace with myself and I still want to buy a "Ferrari", I want to run after my dreams. My dream might not be to buy a Ferrari, but to do something for which I must enter the rat race. I learned in a Yoga ashram that I need to keep my mind under control, not let the mind stress out. The mind stresses out because it repeats the same thought millions of times. The trick to success is to trick the mind into calmness.

I feel one can stay at peace and be as happy as a Monk and still work towards one's goals. For all we know , our purpose of this birth might be to buy a Ferrari and inspire many souls to work hard :).

6 comments:

  1. So Mr. Monk what you want to buy after Ferrari?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice writing Shiva..tumne likhna bhi shuru kar diya..likhte raho..u write well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anvaya : I would liketo buy a small plane after ferrari :)

    Hi King Singh ji :) .. thnk u ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice shiva....very well written...hidden talent I SAY....its nice to see you grow into this different person....very different from how i know you...now it would be nice to know this new you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Praveena !! thanks a lot !! .. as you know ..i spent most of my childhood surronded by books in Library ;) .. maybe its showing it's effect now. I will definitly work on writing and try to improve on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everythin about u makes me smile ... and so did ur write up on cat/brick/wall thing and the ferrari thing.... well ...I know u will do well no matter where u are... what I do pray for is calmness and joy in what u do.... God Bless U

    ReplyDelete